[OS X TeX] Malayalam and other Indian languages on Mac

NMPOST7 nmpost7 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 14:41:26 CEST 2012

On 04/07/2012 14:34, NMPOST7 wrote:
> On 04/07/2012 14:19, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> If you saw Malayalam in the e-mail that was sent you should have a font that has that script.
> You might try to print that e-mail to pdf and see what font is included in that
> pdf for the Malayalam text.
> I use Adobe Reader to see that but I know there are CLI commands to tell you the
> fonts used in the pdf.
>
> Thank you for that tip. I just did it and checked the document properties, where
> the fonts are named.
>
> Two fonts are names:
> 1. AnjaliOldLipi (embedded Subset) ttf, encoding: built-in
> 2. courier (embedded subset) ttf, encoding: Roman
>
> Strangely enough. I did try using AnjaliOldLipi (available in fontbook) but
> xelatex complained about the non availability of the font!

found the problem!!!!!!
Herbert/Jonathan

problems lies not with the font but with TexShop. It has problems with unicode!!
It appears, that we have the solution. The font I used was the original used my
Jonathan. Lohit. I shall now try with the others.

TexShop displayed the pasted text. but when saved. replaces the text with
question marks. Aparently TexShop cannot digest unicode.

cheers
suren