[OS X TeX] Does {ntheorem} have a bug related to \newshadedtheorem ?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 12 14:57:00 CET 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 9:41 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:

> hello Herb and Michael,
>
> Thanks for your observations. I will reply to Michael's earlier message after I've done some experimenting with his code.
>
> On 11Jan2012, at 10:45 AM, Michael Welsh wrote:
>
>> On 12/01/2012, at 3:25 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>>

>>> Why are you using both auto-pst-pdf (which is a wrapper for pst-pdf used with pdflatex) and pstricks (to be used with latex->dvips->ps2pdf [i.e., tex->dvi->ps->pdf])? Are you using lots of pstricks or are you including eps or pdf figures?
>> I'm not. It was causing the issues for Don, and I couldn't get his code to compile without it.
>>>

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Well, maybe I understand that.
>>>
>>> What editor are you using?
>> TeXShop. Don was SL and whatever version that is, and I'm the latest Lion one.
>
> Confirmed. Here, TeXShop is 2.43 and Snow Leopard is 10.6.8
>
> As Michael noted, without the line
>
> 	\usepackage{auto-pst-pdf}
>
> I could not get the code to compile. I don't know twit about {pstricks}, hence was just stumbling around trying to find some combination that would work. The reason I stuck the line \usepackage{auto-pst-pdf} in the source code was because of the following error message:
>
> ./Ntheorem.tex:195: LaTeX Error: You have run the document with pdflatex, but PSTricks
>               requires latex->dvips->ps2pdf or alternatively the use
>               of the package `auto-pst-pdf'. Then you can run
>                 `pdflatex -shell-escape <file>' (TeX Live)
>               or
>                 `pdflatex -enable-write18 <file>' (MikTeX).

Howdy,

If the person is using pstricks a lot they should be typesetting the file using latex->dvips->ps2pdf unless they are also including pdf, png and/or jpeg images in their document. The easiest way to tell TeXShop to use that method of typesetting is to put the line

% !TEX TS-program = latex

at the top of the file.

Using the auto-pst-pdf package is more than simply loading the package. It provides wrappers (environments or commands) to be put around all pstricks/psfrag/etc. graphics and compiles them separately and finally adds the results into the document. As I stated above, there is no need to use it unless the person is also including pdf, png and/or jpeg images in the document.

> I made no attempt to run  `pdflatex -shell-escape <file>' having no idea what <file> alluded to.

If the file is being typeset within TeXShop the -shell-escape is the default so there is no need to add it. Not only that but using the latex->dvips->ps2pdf methos of typesetting, if possible even negates the necessity of having it.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)