[OS X TeX] TeXShop automatic hiding/unhiding of root file

roberto avanzi roberto.avanzi at online.de
Tue Jan 10 23:28:21 CET 2012

On Jan 10, 2012, at 22:01 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2012, at 10:53 AM, roberto avanzi wrote:
>
>> I have a few documents split into a root file and several included files.
>> The first line of the included files is
>>
>> %!TEX root = ./some-name.tex
>>
>> Now, suppose I am working on that project and I close TeXShop.
>> When I reopen TeXShop the root file goes to the dock, then comes out again, for EACH included file that is reponened. This is a bit maddening, is unpleasing, and introduced an unnecessary delay.  I cannot find an option to disable this automatic hiding/unhiding of the root file.  Can anybody help?
>>
>> Roberto
>
> Howdy,
>
> What version of the OS and TeXshop are you using? If you are using OS X 10.7.x and TeXShop 3.0x you most probably have System Preferences->General->Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps checked.

Yes.

> If you want that behavior you should close the root file before quitting and that might help. I don't want that behavior for any apps so I unchecked that option and don't see you problem.

Well, i *do* want that behaviour. It's a specific TeXShop behaviour that I do not want.
I describe an example below.

> Finally, If you are using TeXShop 3.04 I suggest going to <http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/lion.html> and installing version 3.06 which seems to be stable and fixes some annoying problems in earlier versions of TeXshop 3.

I have 3.06 and also with 3.06 I have the same problem.

So, create in a folder four files called 1.tex, 2.tex, 3.tex and main.tex

1.tex contains, say

%!TEX root = ./main.tex

one

2.tex and 3.tex are defined similarly

main.tex is then

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\begin{document}
\input 1
\input 2
\input 3
\end{document}

Typeset. close TeXShop with main.tex as front window. Now, reopen TeXShop. The window "main.tex" will wander to the dock and then come back, a couple of times.  If this does not happen and TeXShop jsut opens all windows, close and reopen it.

This is, frankly, a bit weird, and VERY annoying.

 Roberto