[OS X TeX] Where do I place TeX Gyre fonts?

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 27 21:53:25 CET 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:17 PM, William Adams wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Eric Weir wrote:
>
>> If I install the OTF fonts will I be able to use them to compile with LaTeX?
>
> Yes, using xelatex, but that may have limitations in comparison to \usepackage{tgtermes}.
>
> Better to let LaTeX have its head and use the package directive.

Thanks, Bill. [Or is it William?]

I tried with a tex gyre font selected via the menu and via the \usepackage{fontname} command, and just using the latter. Latex compile failed with both. I got an error message saying "could not open 'filename.dvi.'"

I understand there are advantages to xetex, especially for the humanities, especially with tex fonts: handles unicode and, with tex fonts, missing "codepoints."

So I'm gonna go with xetex.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eeweir at bellsouth.net

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz