[OS X TeX] Maintaining the same cite keys for collaboration?

Christopher Skeels Chris.Skeels at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Feb 16 23:03:37 CET 2012

It may be clunky but the following has worked for me in the past (with a single coauthor, on windoze, but I am sure you can extend to your heart's desire).

In the preamble we had

\usepackage{ifthen}
%Uncomment the line corresponding to whose ever machine the file is being compiled on
%\newcommand{\machine}{authorA}
%\newcommand{\machine}{authorB}
\ifthenelse{\equal{\machine}{authorA}}
{
\newcommand{\ourbibdef}{authorA's list of .bib files}
 \newcommand{\ref1}{authorA's citekey for ref1}
.
.
.
}
{
\newcommand{\ourbibdef}{authorB's list of .bib files}
\newcommand{\ref1}{authorB's citekey for ref1}
.
.
 .
}

All citations were of the form \cite{\ref1} and, at the point that we wanted the bibliography we had

\bibliography{\ourbibdef}

Each author simply had to uncomment the relevant definition of  \machine (and ensure that the others were commented out) and they were good to go regardless of their bibliographic structure (cite keys, number of .bib files, etc).

I am sure that someone who knows what they are doing can think of something slicker but this works.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Chris.