[OS X TeX] \makebox{} Ignorance

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Thu Feb 9 03:28:51 CET 2012

Hello Charlie and Manfred,

>> <<snip>>
>>>
>>>       If no, what *should* I use?
>>
>> \begin{minipage}[t]{5cm}
>>  your text
>> \end{minipage}\hfill
>> \begin{minipage}[t]{7cm}
>>  your figure
>> \end{minipage}
>>
>> the option [t] makes the minipages top aligned, if this is wanted.
>
> Manfred ... that does it! A little diddling with some negative vertical space put the graph just where I wanted it. Many *many* thanks!

Well, Manfred's suggestion puzzled my at first, since on page 863 of ''the LaTeX Companion'' it says, with respect to \begin{minipage} ... \end{minipage} that

	"Note, however that it cannot contain floats or \marginpar commands, ...."

'It' refers to minipage structures. To my surprise, the code fragment
---------
b. Find a possible formula for f(x)
%\begin{minipage}[t]{6cm}
\includegraphics[scale=0.4]{SpiralModel}
%\end{minipage}
More text to follow the graphic element
---------
typeset nicely. The following text fitted in nicely with the graphic, since the graphic was treated as if a character. But on uncommenting the two lines, about the same configuration for the graphic, but the following text intruded into the graphic on the right edge.

Anyway, I did not realize that the command \includegraphics could be used bare-assed so to speak.

In addition, Manfred's example led me to solve something I've been thinking about for a long time. How do you get two figures to fit side-by-side? I was able to do this with source text of the form:

\includegraphics[scale=0.25]{SpiralModel}\hfill
\includegraphics[scale=0.25]{LinearModel}

and the \hfill guy placed the graphic elements nicely. But I could not get the same effect if I used the \begin{figure} ... \end{figure} environment. The graphics are always stacked one above the other. Is there some way to place the figures side-by-side while still using \begin{figure} ... \end{figure}? I would like to have them with captions and numbered!!

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca