[OS X TeX] migrating from Emacs to TexShop

Jens Nöckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Sun Feb 5 01:53:35 CET 2012

Here's another migration story that ends quite differently:
I still use xemacs (under X11) for many tasks because it's so configurable.

For LaTeX, though, I've long ago switched to LyX (www.lyx.org) because it combines the convenience of a Mac application with virtually all the (x)emacs key bindings (fully configurable in the preferences, so you can create you own mix of Mac and Unix shortcuts). It's sort of a cross between a word processor and the emacs-auctex and x-symbol modes. Among many other nice Mac-like things, LyX allows you to paste PDF and other graphics directly into the document (like all LaTeX code in LyX, the fine-tuning of \includegraphics is hidden from the user but can be pulled up in a menu).

I can also paste graphics into my xemacs (thanks to some elisp trickery that I couldn't get to work in Aquamacs, unfortunately), but for LaTeX I find that LyX is more user-friendly while still allowing me to tap into "emacs muscle memory." In LyX, there is no concept of indentation or fill in the editor window because formatting of the source code is typically completely hidden from the user.

Jens