[OS X TeX] automatic superscript braces in TeXShop editor

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Sat Feb 4 23:25:16 CET 2012

Hi Herb,

I'm using TeXShop 2.43 with OS 10.6.8

On trying to follow your advice to Zbigniew:

> Open the Key Bindings Editor (Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File…) and look at the list. Put ^ in the Input: pane and ^{#SEL##INS#} in the Output: pane and press the + button; that adds the new key binding to the list. Hope this helps.

I went to (Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File…) and had a look. Noticed that there was an entry for the empty set which can be created by simply typing \O (uppercase O not zero 0) and found that it works nicely in both text mode and math mode. Granted I get a warning that

LaTeX Warning: Command \O invalid in math mode on input line 21.

when I use it in math mode, but the appropriate character appears in the preview. That's great, but how does one gets the appropriate character in 'Input' column of the Key Bindings Editor?

Also, the use of \neq  in the source code -- without the surrounding $...$ stuff -- draws the complaint
--------
./Untitled.tex:24: Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                $
l.24 ...not equal to without the dollar signs \neq
-------
and after fixing things up for me, the proper "not equal to" glyph appears. But obviously one should fix such deficiencies in the source code.

For example, I frequently use $\mathbb{N}$. I have a shortcut for that but .....  It would be very nice if I could just type \N, for example, in the source code and have the blackboard version of N appear on the preview page.

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca