[OS X TeX] texgyrepagella-math.otf not found

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Dec 26 22:57:34 CET 2012

On Dec 26, 2012, at 3:37 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 Dec 2012 at 16:48:23 -0600, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 25, 2012, at 4:33 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why isn't XeLaTeX (run from within TeXShop) finding the TeX Gyre OpenType math font?  This is with MacTex2012.
>>>
>>> Folder /Library/Fonts includes a subfolder "TeX Gyre" in which I see a file texgyrepagella-math.otf .
>>>
>>> is there something else I need to do to "activate" the font?
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> %%%%%%%%%%
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>>> \usepackage{unicode-math}
>>>
>>> \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}
>>> \setmainfont[
>>> 	BoldFont=texgyrepagella-bold.otf,
>>> 	ItalicFont=texgyrepagella-italic.otf,
>>> 	BoldItalicFont=texgyrepagella-bolditalic.otf]
>>> 	{texgyrepagella-regular.otf}
>>> \setmathfont{texgyrepagella-math.otf}
>>>
>>> \begin{document}
>>> Let $f$ be analytic in the region $G$ except for the isolated singularities $a_{1},a_{2},\dots, a_{m}$.
>>> \end{document}
>>> %%%%%%%%%%
>>>

>> Try to use the font name as displayed in Font Book rather than the file name. I have
>>
>> \setmathfont{TG Pagella Math}
>>
>> and it seems to work fine.
>>
>> By the way, I believe there was an update to Pagella Math and I moved texgyerpagellamath-regular.otf from the opentype font folder in texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre-math into my personal ~/Library/Fonts
>
> OK, changing to "\setmathfont{TG Pagella Math}" fixed the problem. Thanks.
>
> But now I'm confused, given thatI do have the several texgyrepagella-xxxxl.otf text fonts and texgyrepagellamath-regular.otf in /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre and /usr/.../tex-gyre-math folders, respectively.
>
> (1) Why then does my indicated declaration for \setmainfont work with actual file names?
>
> (2) Why didn't the file-name work for texgyrepagella-math.otf when that file was in texmf-dist?

Howdy,

I believe (I assume someone will tell me if I'm wrong --- certainly happened before) that:
if you call by the system font name (as given by Font Book) xe(la)tex looks in the standard font locations used by OS X (e.g., ~/Library/Fonts); if you call by the font file name xe(la)tex looks for the opentype (.otf) font within the fonts distributed with the TeX distribution. So when you used the otf file name with the old file name it looked in the TeX distribution and not ~/Library/Fonts where you have the font file; when you used the system font name the file in ~/Library/Fonts was found but that is not the updated version. Clear as mud?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)