[OS X TeX] Using Latin-1 with TexShop preferences set at UTF-8

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Aug 24 21:26:10 CEST 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Jacques ANDRÉ <jacques.andre35 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 24 août 2012 à 18:41, Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> a écrit :
>

>> TeXShop is doing the correct thing.
>>
>> Let me explain how these encodings work.
>
> Thanks for the information. I understand.
> My surprise was that TeXShop2010 worked one way and TeXLive2012 another one…
> But, OK, I do agree the new way is better…
>
> Jacques André

Howdy,

One thing I would add... If you op[en the file with the wrong encoding and then edit and save it everything will be messed up.

One important fact is that the

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

(or IsoLatin or MacOSRoman) tells TeXShop what encoding to use when opening the file for display, editing ans saving. The

\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

(or [latin1] or [applemac]) tells LaTeX what encoding to use when processing the file. Therefore, as long as you only typeset the file what you see on the screen makes no difference.

You really should have both items; one for TeXShop and the other for LaTeX.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)