[OS X TeX] Packages for books

David Watson dewatson at me.com
Wed Aug 22 16:55:59 CEST 2012

I had the privilege of editing a book of abstracts for Medicinal Chemistry meeting-in-miniature several years ago.
Fortuitously, I chose memoir for laying out the book.
When it came time for the deadline with the printer, I was informed that their press used 13"x19" stock, and that I would need to add a bleed to my cover page.
I only had to expand the margins of my page a little using the \setstocksize macro, and provide the proper crop marks with \settrims, etc. to match the stock.
Expanding the cover picture past the bleed wasn't very difficult.

We made the deadline with no problem.

I'm not sure I could have made those kind of adjustments readily with any other package.

You may want to discuss things like this with your intended publisher.