[OS X TeX] Fwd: hyperref problem

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Fri Aug 3 23:15:48 CEST 2012

Hello Zbigniew,

On 04/08/2012, at 0:29, "Nitecki, Zbigniew H." <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu> wrote:

> The intervals between the intercepts are called the \deffontcustom{axes}{axis|of ellipse} of this ellipse;
> the larger \resp{smaller}  is called the \deffontcustom{major axis}{axis|of ellipse|major}
> \resp{\deffontcustom{minor axis}{axis|minor|of ellipse}}; thus the larger of $a$ and $b$ is the
> \deffontcustom{semi-major axis}{axis  | semi-major | of ellipse} while the smaller is the \deffontcustom{semi-minor axis}{axis | semi-minor | of ellipse}.

Are you not aware that this usage of | within index entries is *not* creating hierarchical sub-entries. Instead it allows styling macros to be used within individual index entries, as if the | were a \ character.

>  with the \ifIndexDefs line, but I don't think this is the problem.

It isn't.

> But I get the error messages
>
> ./Hyperreftest.ind:3: Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \minor
>
> l.3   \item axis, \hyperindexformat{\minor}{1}

See how \minor has been placed into an index entry.
More of these below.

> ./Hyperreftest.ind:4: Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \of
>               ellipse
> l.4 \hyperindexformat{\of ellipse}{1}
>
> ?
> ./Hyperreftest.ind:5: Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \semi
>                 -major
> l.5 ...m axis , \hyperindexformat{\semi-major }{1}
>                                                  ,
> ?
> ./Hyperreftest.ind:6: Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \semi
>                 -minor
> l.6 \hyperindexformat{\semi-minor }{1}
>
> ?
>
> If I ignore them, everything appears to compile OK.
>
> I looked into the .ind file (even for the large project) and these entries are the only ones that seem to generate a
> "\hyperindexformat" entry;  all others create subitems.

It's strange that the usage of | seems to be overloaded.
Maybe it is | followed by a space token that is doing the sub items,
but when followed directly by a word that you get a macro usage created.

> What is going on, and what can I do to stop it?

Try putting spaces around the | ; at least put one directly after.

> I've attached the .tex, .ind, .console, and .pdf files--in fact, all the files generated by this process.
>

> Zbigniew Nitecki
> Department of Mathematics
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA 02155