[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility not updating?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Aug 3 23:15:48 CEST 2012

On Aug 03, 2012, at 01:49 PM, Luís Vitório Cargnini <lvcargnini at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> first,
> try in the old good and always handy 'The Terminal'

Michael Welsh assessed the error correctly:

500 Can't connect to ctan.math.utah.edu:80 (Host is down)

The correct solution is to switch repositories, not switch to the Terminal program.  Paolo, the Help menu in TeX Live Utility should provide guidance on how to do this.  If it's not sufficiently clear, let me know.
> sudo tlmgr update --self

This is probably safe nowadays.  However, TLU uses a different method, as tlmgr used to (frequently) destroy itself during self update in early versions.  I admit to being biased, but I think TLU is a better way for most Mac users to run tlmgr than the Terminal.

Adam (TLU developer)