[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 54, Issue 22

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 21:52:16 CEST 2012

If someone succeeds in building an OS X binary for lxir, including any
compiled libraries on which runnning it depend (and which are not
already distributed with TeXLive 2011), would you let us know and, if
possible, share it?
On 4/27/12 3:00 PM, macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu wrote:
> From: Michael Sharpe<msharpe at ucsd.edu>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 54, Issue 20

>> >  Howdy,
>> >
>> >  Hmmm... where can I get texk? Just to have it on hand... in case...
>> >
>> >  Good Luck,
>> >
>> >  Herb Schulz
>> >  (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
> The instructions athttp://tug.org/texinfohtml/kpathsea.html  are quite out of date. I went through this over a year ago and found the simplest thing was to partially build TeXLive. In fact, I was looking for a way to update lcdftools with kpathsea support, and the following gives details on how to do this. (This is copied from the source to TeXFontUtility.)
>
> The chief obstacle is that you must have an appropriate version (ie, with code for the mode in which you are compiling it---one or more of {\tt PPC}, {\tt i386} (Intel 32 bit), {\tt i686} (Intel 64 bit)) of the \textsf{kpathsea} libraries and headers installed on your machine, or you have to compile part of the \TeX\ Live distribution. A version from \TeX\ Live $2006$ with code for {\tt PPC} and {\tt i386} is on my machine, but seems to no longer be distributed as part of Mac\TeX. The only way I know to make the {\tt kpathsea} libraries is to get the \TeX\ Live sources and compile them from scratch. This is easier than it sounds if you have the Apple development tools installed already. You may download them from Apple, though that involves joining  the Apple Developer program or purchasing them for \$4.99 (free for Lion) through their App Store. The starting point for this is \url{http://developer.apple.com} or the App Store, and once you have downloaded the \textsf{XCode} package,
 installation is completely automatic.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305