[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 54, Issue 10

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 21:33:23 CEST 2012

On 4/12/12 3:00 PM, macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu wrote:
> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:42:29 -0500
> From: Herbert Schulz<herbs at wideopenwest.com>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Re: .map file not found?

>> >  I don't think putting new fonts and support inside ~/Library/texmf is a
>> >  problem, per discussions at MacOSX-TeX list.
>> >
>> >  I've resolved the problem with the .map files not being found: I have in
>> >  ~/Library/texmf/web2c a file updmap.cfg. As soon as I added to it the
>> >  entries...
>> >
>> >    Map wolfram.map #localtexmf/dvips/config/wolfram.map
>> >  Map pdfwolfram.map #localtexmf/pdftex/config/pdfwolfram.map
>> >
>> >  ... now running sudo updmap-sys runs normally and finds the
>> >  newly-added .map files.
>

> Basically what you did is to do part of the work of updmap manually.
>
> So you ran
>
> updmap ...
>
> rather than
>
> sudo updmap-sys ...
>
> at some point? Don't know how much time has been wasted fighting this kind of stuff when things don't work easily.
>
> How do you have your TeX Live Utility preferences set up?

For the TeX Live Utility, I have UNchecked "Install updates for all
users". I believe I did that following advice on this list (from you?) a
couple weeks ago.

Note that I am the only user on this Mac (and my account is an admin
account).

That utility, as well as the command " sudo tlmgr update --all" seem to
work OK. In fact, I ran the latter a bit earlier today, and the log
shows at its end:

   done running mktexlsr.
   running mtxrun --generate ...
   done running mtxrun --generate.
   running updmap-sys --nomkmap --nohash --enable Map=mathpple.map ...
   done running updmap-sys --nomkmap --nohash --enable Map=mathpple.map.
   running updmap-sys ...
   done running updmap-sys.

Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                    phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912