[OS X TeX] TexShop and square brackets

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Oct 31 14:59:26 CET 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 8:32 AM, M. Tamer Özsu wrote:

> I am having a problem with TexShop and square brackets []. In the preferences, I have indicated that I want ['s matched (see attached). However, when I type [ it doesn't match it with ] and beeps and flashes back because it is an isolated parens. Anyone else experiencing this or does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?
>
> I am on Lion 10.7.2 TexShop Version 3.06.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> M. Tamer Özsu
> University of Waterloo

Howdy,

If by ``I want ['s matched'' you mean that when you type [ you get [|] (where | is the insertion point) that is NOT what the preference is meant to do. That preference is meant to give you feedback about (mis-)matching ``parenthetical'' expressions and it seems to be doing its job. To get [|] (again, | is the insertion point) when you press [ go to Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File… and put as Input: the [ and as Output: [#SEL#EINS#] and then press Save. I'm not sure, but you may have to restart TeXShop. Assuming you have TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Editor->Key Bindings checked you should get [|] (| means the insertion point) when you press [.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)