[OS X TeX] Tinkering with the argument of a \chapter

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 21:19:51 CEST 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:18 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.10.2011 um 16:51 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> I would like to have a chapter title to read "Base TEN" with the E
>> and the N a bit smaller than the T with the T the same size as the
>> B in Base. In other words what "Base \textsc{Ten}" would typeset
>> but which, in the argument of \chapter, typesets "Base Ten".
>
> I'd try something new: amsbook.

Because I did not know how amsbook would live with

	\usepackage{amsmath}
	\usepackage{amsthm}
	\usepackage{amssymb}
	\usepackage{amscd}

and "just in case", before trying amsbook, I tried just

\chapter[Base T{\smaller EN}]{Base T{\smaller EN} Place System}

and, to my complete surprise and contrary to my direst expectations,
it worked perfectly. I suppose that's due to relsize even though
Companion 2ed does not mention it.

Companion 2ed did mention \mathsmaller (p84) but I had missed
\textsmaller. And, in fact, it mentioned "Small Caps (faked)"

> It has \smaller as in
>
> 	\section[Base Ten]{Base T\smaller{EN}}	% chapter starts with
> \thispagestyle{plain}
>
> but also understands and preserves
>
> 	\section[Base Ten]{Base \textsc{Ten}}

Ah! That would be occasionally useful but, same as with T1 encoding,
I am weary of amsbook having repercussions that I would not see right
away.

And, for what I wanted, everything is now fine.

Grateful regards
--schremmer