[OS X TeX] Tinkering with the argument of a \chapter

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 21:15:02 CEST 2011

Hi Alain

On 25/10/2011, at 5:18, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 24.10.2011 um 16:51 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> I would like to have a chapter title to read "Base TEN" with the E and the N a bit smaller than the T with the T the same size as the B in Base. In other words what "Base \textsc{Ten}" would typeset but which, in the argument of \chapter, typesets "Base Ten".
>
> I'd try something new: amsbook. It has \smaller as in
>
>    \section[Base Ten]{Base T\smaller{EN}}    % chapter starts with \thispagestyle{plain}

It is not a good idea to mix text and macros in a title.
Much better is to define a robust macro, e.g.

\DeclareRobustCommand{\BaseTEN}{....}
expanding to how you want it to appear on the page in the section-heading.

This means that  \BaseTEN  will occur in the .aux and .toc file,
so you can give a local redefinition before making the ToC, where
the font sizes are different.

Getting it right in the running head is a bit harder.
It is pretty standard to hack at \@oddhead and \@evenhead to customize to all your requirements. So just add a redefinition here too.

Also, if you are using hyperref to create bookmarks and hyperlinks,
then you can specify a plain text (no styling) version for use in these structures.

> but also understands and preserves
>
>    \section[Base Ten]{Base \textsc{Ten}}
>
> But \smaller looks better.

Look inside the .toc file to see what this approach produces.
Then try again with my robust solution as described above.
You will quickly understand why this is a better approach.

> You might have to use \cleardoublepage to finish a page because \section does not perform this.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Hope this helps,