[OS X TeX] FAQ List Structure?

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at me.com
Fri Oct 14 13:42:36 CEST 2011

On Oct 13, 2011, at 4:45 PM, David Craig wrote:

> I need to create a FAQ-type document with a list of groups of questions linked to answers below (in the same document).    The question groups and questions need to be numbered.  Among other things, this means that the numbering in the list of questions needs to match the numbering in the answers, but the complete list of questions needs to PRECEED the complete list of answers.     It would be nice if the tex code could be such that the questions and answers could be entered together but typeset separately, something like a description environment but pairing the list of questions with a list of the questions/answers following:

My solution uses memoir (you can also use the comments package if you on't want to use memoir). Define two new comments, one for questions and one for answers, and turn them on or off depending in what you want show. Instead of a step-by-step explanation I am attaching a root file (FAQ.tex) along with two individual faqs (faq1.tex, faq2.tex) that demonstrate how my approach works. I basically use the same approach to print homework problems (problem statements w/o solutions, solutions w/o problem statements, or both).

Themis