[OS X TeX] Mathcal fonts

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Mon Nov 28 19:40:14 CET 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 10:13 AM, R Martinez wrote:

> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>
> %-------Packages----------------------------------------
>
> \usepackage{lmodern}
> \usepackage{amsmath, amssymb,amsthm}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>

> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{mathrsfs}
> \usepackage{textcomp}
> \usepackage{xspace}
>
> %-------------------------------------------------------
>
> \begin{document}
>
> %-------Title-------------------------------------------
>
> \title{Mathcal Font Test}
> \date{27 November 2011}
>
> \maketitle
>

> %------------------------------------------------------
> \section{Mathcal font}
>

> Letters produced using the command \\ \$ $\backslash$mathcal\{A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z\}\$ \\
>
> $\mathcal{A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z}$ \\
>
> These letters are not identical to those shown in
>
> Kopka and Daly, Guide to LaTeX, 4th ed., p. 127.\\
>
> The letters A, C, E are identical to those shown in
>
> Gratzer, More Math Into LaTeX, 4th ed., p. 197.\\
>
> I prefer the letters shown in Kopka and Daly because they have more embellishments, which I need for my purposes.\\
>
> I will greatly appreciate suggestions about how to get the mathcal fonts to be the ones shown in Kopka and Daly.
>

> \end{document}

The letters show in Kopka and Daly are from Zapf Calligrapic, not Latin (or Computer) Modern. To get these in place of LM, replace the line

\usepackage{mathrsfs}
with
\usepackage[cal=zapfc,calscaled=1.15,,scr=rsfs]{mathalfa}

There are other choices of mathcal available Seee the samples in the documentation for mathalfa.

Michael