[OS X TeX] texshop default editor

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 5 11:23:09 CET 2011

On Nov 5, 2011, at 2:50 AM, Doris Behrendt wrote:

> thanks, it worked; why does this happen, anyway? I mean, that the default is changed from texshop to texworks when upgrading?

Howdy,

The internals of Launch Services (the part of the OS that takes care of that pairing) seems to be pretty opaque. Sometimes it seems to pick the latest but not always. It has nothing to do with TeXShop or TeXworks as far as I can tell.

OS X 10.7 has been particularly strange as far as this is concerned. I, and several others have reported .tex icons going generic even though the .tex file was opening in TeXShop. I had to go through resetting the Launch Services database as well as some other gibberish to get them back; others keep losing them. Sigh…

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)