[OS X TeX] Re: [tex-live] texdoc tries to launch X11

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat May 28 00:50:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

Please discuss texdoc issues on the texdoc list (I'll keep you cc-ed if you
aren't subscribed). Besides it being easier for me, you'll usually get an answer
faster (for example I didn't notice the problem reported by Heiko before Phlipp
forwarded in to the texdoc list & github page).

Le 24/05/2011 06:58, Victor Ivrii a écrit :
> After tonight texdoc update (still 0.80 but handles files without
> extensions properly) the following weird behaviour still occurs; it
> was observed first on "old" 0.80 but I am not sure when it appears:

If it is what I think, it probably started with version 0.61...

> If I ssh (from Mac) UNIX host via terminal WITH X-windows redirect (Y
> switch) then X11 is launched even if it is not needed and the output
> goes to terminal (not X11) window (see below) but if I ssh (from Mac)
> UNIX host via terminal WITHOUT X-windows redirect no attempt to launch
> X11.

Texdoc tries to detect a running desktop environment to select the appropriate
viewer, and for xfce detection is needs to run xprop. I guess this is triggering
the X11 launch.

For now, a work-around may be to explicitly set all viewers (dvi, html, pdf, ps,
txt) either in the config file the environment. At least it could be used to
test my guess.

A better solution would require texdoc not to try getting the viewer settings
unless they are actually needed. This would probably be a big change in the
code, so it's probably not happening very soon...

Manuel.