[OS X TeX] TS 2.38 parenthesis matching

Peter Vamos P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Mar 29 20:39:35 CEST 2011

Herb,

Thanks for the comments.

>I think there are many times when delimiters won't match in a
>mathematical expression. E.g., Physicist often use bra-ket notation,
><xxx| and |xxx> and the much used cases in maths.

Here I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that a false alarm
may result. Nevertheless, the fact remains that the string: \left
followed by a delimiter or dot without a space between them,  must be
matched by a   \right followed by a delimiter or dot without a space
between them, so checking for these as valid pairs would help and
could possibly be implemented. The examples like <xxx| will not
trigger parenthesis matching if the delimiters < > are unchecked as
per default.

>  I get worried if ``escaped'' delimiters (i.e., ones that are really
>commands) are NOT skipped.

Well, \{ is not a command

Peter