[OS X TeX] A bit of everything (1/4)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Tue Mar 22 22:10:29 CET 2011

Hello,

Some of you may remember me as a regular contributor to this list over the years 2001 to 2008. During that period, I often dealt with font-related issues either raised on the list or sent to me off-list. Most of the time this was done in haste and ended in half-baked solutions, which sort of worked.

A few months ago I decided to go back to this and tie up the loose ends, for those solutions I had been using myself afterwards. The immediate motivation was the purchase of up-to-date versions of the Lucida and MathTime fonts from PCTeX, to replace the versions purchased from Blue Sky Research in the mid-1990s and used extensively ever since (especially Lucida). The new versions needed to be installed in MacTeX, which required cleaning the accumulated stuff in /Library/TeX/Local and ~/Library/texmf.

Needless to say, this was a bad decision and turned out to be far more difficult and take far much time than expected. This started in early October 2010, has been carried at intervals since, and has only just been completed!

In the process a lot of issues were found and, hopefully, solved. Since this may be of interest to members of this list, here is an account of what I did. Adaptations are described in chronological order, which is also roughly an order of increasing complexity.

This is a one-off post: I re-subscribed just before posting this series of messages and will unsubscribe a couple of days after receiving it and verifying, by the list's response, that there aren't major problems. Please don't attempt to contact me for support, I simply can't afford the time.

Some adaptations involve FontForge <http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/> and Fondu <http://fondu.sourceforge.net/>. For the former, I used the deprecated but still working binary builds at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/fontforge/files/fontforge-executables/>.

In order to test the results, glyphs charts may be drawn by making a copy of testfont.tex, commenting out the line

	\ifx\noinit!\else\init\fi

calling the result batchtestfont.tex say then writing plain TeX files calling the metrics one by one, for example for GTA Mac Fonts in the third message of this series:

	\input batchtestfont

	\def\fontname{ec-hoefler-raw-HoeflerText}\startfont\table\vfill\eject
	\def\fontname{ec-hoefler-raw-HoeflerTextItalic}\startfont\table\vfill\eject
	\def\fontname{ec-hoefler-raw-HoeflerTextBlack}\startfont\table\vfill\eject
	\def\fontname{ec-hoefler-raw-HoeflerTextBlackItalic}\startfont\table\vfill\eject

	\end

For ligatures, here's a test file based on accentst.tex from the Blue Sky Research Lucida floppies from the early 1990s:

	\nopagenumbers
	\def\testligatures#1{%
	  \font\testfont=#1
	  \testfont
	  {\bf Test of #1}\smallskip
	  Standard Ligatures: fi fl ff ffi ffl\par
	  Standard pseudo ligatures: ``English'' - -- --- !` ?`\par
	  Extra pseudo ligatures: <<French>> ,,German''
	  \bigskip}

	\testligatures{pplr8y}
	\testligatures{pplr8t}
	\testligatures{rpplr}