[OS X TeX] Re: LaTeX and APA

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Sat Mar 19 19:24:53 CET 2011

On Mar 19, 2011, at 6:57, Alan Munn <amunn at gmx.com> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2011, at 8:29 AM, LuKreme wrote:
>> On 18-Mar-2011, at 09:35, Alan Munn wrote:
>>>
>>> If you are mainly concerned about the formatting of citations/bibliography, then the biblatex-apa style for biblatex is the most up-to-date that I am aware of. It implements the 6th ed. APA guide.
>>
>> OK. Now, when I fire up TeX Live Utility and type in 'apa' in the search field, I get no results. If I put in biblatex I get
>>
>> biblatex
>> biblatex-chicago
>>
>> How do I get biblatex-apa installed correctly with my Mac TeX install?
>
> I'm sure it's installed.  To search for *installed* packages using TeXLive Utility you need to first select Manage Packages (not Manage Updates) before you do the search.

Oh, duh! Missed that completely.

> This is the version number of TeXLive Utility.  There is no sense in which MacTeX itself has a version number. What I meant was that you should use TeXLive Utility to Update All.

Done that..

>> If I plug in the sample document (I took out the refs to the bibliography for now) to a new document in TeXWorks
>>
>>> \documentclass[noapacite]{apa}
>>> \usepackage[american]{babel}
>>> \usepackage{csquotes}
>>> \usepackage[style=apa]{biblatex}
>>> \DeclareLanguageMapping{american}{american-apa}
>>> \begin{document}
>>>

>>> \end{document}
>>
>> I get this on a command-T:
>>
>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
>> restricted \write18 enabled.
>> entering extended mode
>> (./apa test.tex
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.1 \documentclass
>> [noapacite]{apa}
>
> This is because you've used pdfTeX instead of pdfLaTeX to compile your document.  Choose pdfLaTeX from the pulldown menu in the document window.  You can change this to the default in the preferences.

Ok, I will look for that setting.

Wouldn't PDFLaTeX be the most used option and therefore the logical default?

>> Also, every time I launch TeXWorks, it defaults to saving in the /Applications/TeX/ folder.
>
> Once you save somewhere else doesn't this get remembered?

No.  I have a TeX folder in ~/Documents, and I've saved a few test documents there, but today when I launched it, it saved in the application folder again.

--
This is not a signature