Re: [OS X TeX] Non–Recovery from Error

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Mar 11 19:23:48 CET 2011

Am 11.03.2011 um 18:52 schrieb Messerschmitt David:

> Latexmk could deal with this circumstance in a way that makes it
> transparent to the user.
> If a formatting terminates abnormally, and subsequently the source
> files have changed, it would be
> very reasonable for latexmk to automatically delete .aux files and
> then format twice.

No. In most cases this is not necessary. (I think it happened for me
maybe a dozen times. Out of thousands of runs.)

> In all cases where the user has correctly repaired the problem that
> caused the anomaly in the
> first place, this should recover completely and avoid the user
> having to run three or four
> commands manually. In any other cases (which I would submit are must
> less frequent) this
> should do no harm other than the time it takes to do the two
> formattings.

Maybe it's worth to have two Latexmk options: Either just re-run or
delete and then re-run.

What's needed is that *tex outputs different error levels, indicating
that something failed in conjunction with an external file or not. But
then we have problems with the kind of external files. It could be
some included TeX source file, it could be a graphics file, it could
be an auxiliary file (AUX, IND, ...). It can be made arbitrarily
complicated and exact. This should be best discussed on the TeX Live
list with those who make the distributions and those who write the
programmes and CHange files for TeX. The Latexmk change should be
easier.

--
Greetings

   Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it.