[OS X TeX] New Laptop...

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 17:39:39 CEST 2011

On 24 Jun 2011, at 4:05:30PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> The best option is to wait until a Mac or a disk hits the market that offers both: a fast storage device and an even faster device for temporary storage that does not wear out like an SSD.
> That's the problem with today's SSD: they only allow to change (overwrite) a disk block a few thousand times.

You are way, way off beam. The Intel X25-M, as an example, has a mean time before failure of 1.2 million hours (more than 100 years).

There's a lot of FUD about SSDs. I've had SSD equipped Macs for several years now, and would never go back.

Best wishes

Ralph
--
Prof. Ralph Martin                          Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
Computer Science & Informatics             Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
Cardiff University                   Email: mailto:ralph at cs.cf.ac.uk
5 The Parade, Roath                  WWW:  http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
Cardiff, CF24 3AA, UK     VOIP: sip:17476235487 at proxy01.sipphone.com