[OS X TeX] Writing an Underscore in LateX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jul 28 17:51:34 CEST 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Ishe Chinyoka wrote:

> Actually, for interest sake, I am using MacTex 2011 on Snow Leopard with Voiceover as the screen reader. What is strange is that when I run Plastex to convert the source Tex file to HTML, the underscores are there, but in the PDF file, they are not there.

The underscores are _visibly_ there when _viewed_ in Adobe Acrobat 9.

They aren't being read because they're drawn in as vector rules by TeX.

You need to use a representation of an underscore which will be shown as that character.

\textunderscore may work, or you'll need to use a construct which places the Unicode character or places a special in the file to indicate the cmap value or alt text for it.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer