[OS X TeX] Re: Bug in Preference Pane

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Thu Jul 28 00:01:03 CEST 2011

Juergen,

On Jul 27, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Juergen Fenn wrote:

> Am 26.07.11 22:23 schrieb Richard Koch:
>
>> If you have other older distributions, you will have to fix them in the same way. Once
>> fixed, build 151 of the Pref Pane won't break them.
>
> Dick, thanks for elaborating and for creating the new web page about the
> bug and the fix for it:
>
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/prefpane.html
>
> As you mention, so far it's a fix for geeks... I wonder whether it will
> be possible to replace the preference pane in an upcoming update over tlmgr?

I've submitted to the MacTeX list for testing a small 1 meg install
package which, with one click, fixes three problems:

a) If you upgrade to Lion after installing MacTeX, the
$PATH is broken, so you can typeset from GUI apps
but not from the command line. Fixed by the new package.

b) If you install TeXLive-2011, but later install an older
distribution like TeXLive-2010, the Pref Pane is replaced
by an older Pane. The Pane still works, but you can no
longer get to the 64 bit binaries in TeXLive-2011. Fixed by
the new package.

c) The PrefPane problem referred to above. Fixed by
the new package.

Note that tlmgr doesn't upgrade the Pref Pane because it
isn't part of TeX Live.

After applying this patch, the current Pref Pane works fine.

I'll release this after it has been tested sufficiently. I don't want to
rush a fix.

Dick Koch