[OS X TeX] OS X TeX Font Loading Suggestion

Axel Kielhorn tex at axelkielhorn.de
Tue Jul 19 18:13:11 CEST 2011

Am 18.07.2011 um 22:26 schrieb Richard J Benish:

> Hello,
>
> After seeing yet another flurry of posts about loading fonts, with all its high-tech questions and answers, I got the following idea.
>
> Having a background in graphic arts and being old enough to remember the days of Macintosh "font management" applications, why not have such a thing for LaTex?
>
> I love fonts. I've got thousands of them. But when it comes to LaTex, I am way too unsavvy and way too intimidated to think of trying to load any.

I have a handfull of fonts that I installed for TeX using the fontinst magic.
It's not that difficult, but with XeTeX it is no longer necessary.

> Why doesn't somebody write a program that automates the task for people like me--who I'd guess are a lot more common than people who would dare try to load a non-default font into LaTex?

At the DANTE conference earlier this year there was a presentation called "CMR ist langweilig" (CMR is boring).

The handout for this presentation was a small booklet containing some of the fonts included in TeXLive 2010 (including the updates in early 2011). You can find the TeX Source and the booklet (formatted for ISO A5 or ISO A4) at:

http://www.dante.de/events/dante2011/programm/vortraege.html#ab-KielhornCMR

The boring text is in german but you can read all the important information in the source.

NOTE: This does not cover the OpenType fonts used by XeTeX or luaTeX.

Axel