[OS X TeX] Quote environmnet versus lists

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Thu Jan 27 19:53:40 CET 2011

Hello Peter,

On 2011-25Jan-, at 2:42 AM, Peter Vamos wrote:

> \begin{minipage}[c]{12cm}
>
> \begin{enumerate}
>
> \item First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph.
>
> First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph.
>
> \item Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph.
>
> Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph.
>
> \end{enumerate}
>
> \end{minipage}

Thanks for the example. It worked nicely when using

\documentclass[11pt]{amsart}

however, on switching to

\documentclass [11pt, fleqn, leqno] {book}

I was surprised by:

Leaving the line

% \usepackage[parfill]{parskip}

uncommented, the "blank line between successive paragraphs -- with no indent" worked nicely within the {enumerate} environment. But on uncommenting
<% \usepackage[parfill]{parskip}>, the blank line between paragraphs (within an \item) disappeared and the left margin within {enumerate} changed significantly.

I've not used the {minipage} environment much, but my regular template includes both

\documentclass [11pt, fleqn, leqno] {book}
and
\usepackage[parfill]{parskip}

Since the LaTeX  document class {book} does NOT default to the "blank line between successive paragraphs -- with no indent" style, I'm wondering how to maintain my usual paragraphing style within minipages!?

I tried \\\par and that worked --- in the sense that a blank line separated paragraphs ---although the vertical separation between paragraphs (within an \item) was excessive, a bit too much for elegance.

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca