[OS X TeX] Quote environmnet versus lists

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon Jan 24 21:03:41 CET 2011

Hi Peter, Chris and others.

On 25/01/2011, at 6:32 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.01.2011 um 16:20 schrieb Chris Goedde:
>
>> The values you want to use for the spacing depend on the font size.
>
> Then use font size depending units like ex or em.
>

>> It seems to me that a much more robust solution would be to prevent the quote environment from interacting with the other list environments to begin with, rather than trying to undo the damage.
>

> If the quote environment does what you describe, then you've found a bug in LaTeX. An environment should not have such side-effects, it should be self-contained.

No. It has been explained that the {quote} environment is really
an instance of a {list} environment, so it alters the nesting-level
of any sublists. If I recall correctly, this aspect of {quote}
(being really a list) is indeed mentioned in LaTeX documentation.

I think what is really needed here is TeX's \narrower command.
All it does is adjust the left & right margins, via:

> \narrower=macro:
->\advance \leftskip \parindent \advance \rightskip \parindent .
l.21 \show\narrower

This can be used as if a LaTeX environment.

\begin{narrower}
\end{narrower}

Try it with the example coding.
The resulting paragraph and item separations to me look identical,
when compared to the same content un-narrowed.

> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Hope this helps,