[OS X TeX] emph and ``" on XeLaTeX

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jan 23 23:09:16 CET 2011

On Jan 23, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Marinos Koutsomichalis wrote:

> ok thx !
>
> another one,
>
> I found this somewhere
>
> \fontspec[Numbers={OldStyle}]{Linux Libertine O}
>
> but it doesn' t work - I tried it with Helvetica fonts also..

> On 23 Ιαν 2011, at 9:29 μ.μ., Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Jan 23, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Marinos Koutsomichalis wrote:
>>
>>> I' m on MacOs X using the latest tex working on AquaMacs
>>>
>>> this is a sample
>>>
>>> \documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{article}
>>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>>> \setromanfont{Lucida Grande}
>>> \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}
>>> %\usepackage{polyglossia}
>>> %\setdefaultlanguage{moderngreek}
>>>

>>> \title{Δημοσιεύσεις}
>>> \author{Μαρίνος Κουτσομιχάλης}
>>> \date{Ιανουάριος 2011}
>>>

>>> \begin{document}
>>> \maketitle
>>>
>>> \section*{domestic appliances project #1}
>>>
>>> eContact! electronic journal, Canadian Electracoustic Community, 2010.
>>>
>>> The ``domestic appliances'' projects comprises of a \emph{series of installations} dedicated to \ldots
>>>
>>> \end{document}
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> \documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{article}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}
>> %\setromanfont{Lucida Grande}
>> \setromanfont{Hoefler Text}
>> %\usepackage{polyglossia}
>> %\setdefaultlanguage{moderngreek}
>>

>> \title{Δημοσιεύσεις}
>> \author{Μαρίνος Κουτσομιχάλης}
>> \date{Ιανουάριος 2011}
>>

>> \begin{document}
>> \maketitle
>>
>> \section*{domestic appliances project \#1}
>>
>> eContact! electronic journal, Canadian Electracoustic Community, 2010.
>>
>> The ``domestic appliances'' projects comprises of a \emph{series of installations} dedicated to \ldots
>>
>> \end{document}
>>
>> The changes are:
>>
>> 1)Moved the \defaultfontfeatures command before the \setromanfont command so it's applied to that command. Fixes up the ``...'' problem.
>>
>> 2)Changed the font to one which has an italic version (Font Book shows that Lucida Grande only has Regular and Bold), Hoefler Text. Fixes up the \emph problem
>>
>> 3)Changed the #1 in the \section* command to \#1 since the # has special meaning in TeX so to use it as a character you need to use the command \#. Allows it to compile.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

No problem here with Helvetica. What is happening at your end. How are you using it? This works fine on my system:

\documentclass{tmm}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont[Ligatures=TeX]{Helvetica}
\begin{document}
abc \emph{abc} abc
\end{document}

By default the Linux Libertine O font is not activated on the Mac although it's supplied with TeX Live 2010.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)