[OS X TeX] Quote environmnet versus lists

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 18:36:38 CET 2011

Hi all,

Basic LaTeX question here. Consider the sample TeX file below. The first list (not in quotes) has noticeable inter-paragraph spacing for each item. If I use the exact same list inside the quote environment, the inter-paragraph spacing for items disappears, or if it is still there, it's so tiny as to be almost invisible. (The inter-item spacing is still there, though it seems smaller.) Two questions: why is this happening, and how can I restore the inter-paragraph spacing for items in my lists when they are inside the quote environment? I've tried various things, (it seems like \parsep ought to control this), without success. Ideal solutions will live in a .sty file somewhere, e.g. a redefinition of one of the environments, or setting a parameter on one of the environments.

Thanks!

Chris Goedde

%% Example TeX file below.

\documentclass[11pt]{article}

\begin{document}

Here is a regular list:

\begin{enumerate}

\item First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph.

First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph.

\item Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph.

Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph.

\end{enumerate}

Here is a list inside the quote environment:

\begin{quote}

\begin{enumerate}

\item First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph. First item, first paragraph.

First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph. First item, second paragraph.

\item Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph. Second item, first paragraph.

Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph. Second item, second paragraph.

\end{enumerate}

\end{quote}

\end{document}