[OS X TeX] OSX to Linux/Windows: What do you lose?

Theo Moore tsg.moore at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 22 16:16:35 CET 2011

Hi,

For the last few years, I've been a OSX user at home, and a Linux user
at work. I do a bit of multimedia work (photography and graphics), and
OSX is a terrific option that balances my needs in multimedia (e.g.
programs like Photoshop and Lightroom) with my work in research (e.g.
LaTeX, Matlab, the occasional Fortran), and finally, gives me a smooth
link between my work OS and my home OS.

In am considering making the switch to a dual-boot with Ubuntu and
Windows. There are two factors that are influencing my decision: (1)
Macbooks are expensive, (2) Thinkpads are cheap and rugged.

What I'm wondering is, from the perspective of LaTeX, what
functionality would I be losing going to Linux/Windows?

The one thing that concerns me is font usage. OSX is bundled with a
beautiful array of fonts, and I often use the fonts, in conjunction
with fontspec and XeTeX, to produce 'non-standard' TeX documents. As
I'm aware, both fontspec and XeTeX are available in Linux, but I would
have to purchase most of the fonts I've become accustomed to using.

Can some of you suggest other things I'll have to consider in making
this switch?