[OS X TeX] biblatex author-year styles

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Tue Jan 18 03:58:19 CET 2011

I have finally got around to experimenting with biblatex but have run
into some (teething?) problems. One of these is that biblatex wants to
use more of a date in the (author year) label in the bibliography than
I expect.

The following is a "misc" entry but I have the same issue with e.g.
@article:

@misc{mlkjr-ihad,
 	author			=	mlkjr,
 	title 			=	{I Have a Dream},
 	publisher		=	king-papers-project,
 	address			=	wash-dc,
 	note			=	{This speech was delivered at the March on Washington for Jobs
and Freedom},
 	url			=	{http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/kingweb/publications/speeches/address_at_march_on_washington.pdf},
 	date			=	{1963-08-28}}

This gives me (King, Jr., Martin Luther 28th Aug. 1963) as the label in
the bibliography. Similarly for journal, newspaper & magazine articles
etc.

biblatex-chicago gives results closer to what I'd expect but
unfortunately is not friendly to British punctuation, being an American
citation format. There is a way around this but it involves either
editing the biblatex-chicago files themselves (not a good idea both
because they'll get overwritten and because I may need them in their
present format) or replicating the biblatex-chicago framework under
another name.

I assume, though, that there is an obvious answer to this and that I'm
simply being dumb. I am currently using:
 	\usepackage[natbib=true,sortcites=true,bibstyle=authoryear,citestyle=authoryear-comp,block=space]{biblatex}
to call biblatex and:
 	\printbibliography[title=References]
to print the bibliography.

I am using bibtex as backend. (I don't think biber is even available
for PPC 10.4.)

Would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,
cfr