[OS X TeX] Automatic epstopdf

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jan 10 17:56:29 CET 2011

On Jan 10, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Josep Maria Font wrote:

> I've just read in the notes of "latexmk for TeXShop":
>
> "In MacTEX 2010 the graphic(x/s) package will automatically load the epstopdf package if it detects that the file is being compiled using pdftex in pdf mode (normal for pdflatex). You no longer need to explicitly use the epstopdf package."
>
> I understand this is a feature not related to latexmk, but rather to pdftex. Can anyone confirm this ?
>
> My main question os: Is the above true in other, non-Mac-related LaTeX distributions, such as MikTeX for PCs, and generally other distributions people may have ? That is, can I give this advice (about not needing to explicitly use the epstopdf package) to general LaTeX users with up-to-date installations ?
>
> Thanks,
>

> JMaF

Howdy,

It's related to pdftex and the latest updates to the graphic(x/s) package and the epstopdf package (automatically loaded by the latest graphic(x/s) package when using pdftex in pdf mode) in TeX Live 2010. It has nothing to do with latexmk.

It should work out of the box with all TeX Live 2010 distributions (unless it has been specially configured to NOT work by some paranoid system admins). As far a MikTeX is concerned I certainly don't know since I have no way of knowing how it is configured out of the box.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)