[OS X TeX] biber error

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Jan 3 16:56:33 CET 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 9:18 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
>

>>> Oh well.  I guess I'll update to Snow Leopard then. (Although it would be nice if there was a correctly compiled binary around that would work on any OS.)
>>

>> One more question.  Having upgraded to Snow Leopard, biber works, but it seems to be in a directory that isn't findable from the command line, since it's in /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-darwin/ .  What's the best way to fix this?
>>

> If you installed MacTeX there is a symbolic link, /usr/texbin, that indirectly points to the binaries. Which set of binaries it point to is controlled by the TeX Distribution Preference Pane found in system Preferences.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> PS: after installing TeX Live 2010 via MacTeX please run TeX Live Utility (should be in /Applications/TeX), a really nice GUI interface to tlmgr, and get the numerous updates that have come out since TL2010 was released.

I was running TL 2010 fully updated before I upgraded to Snow Leopard.  So the distribution panel shows only one distribution, but /usr/texbin doesn't point to the /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-darwin/ it points to /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin/, which doesn't contain the biber binary, hence my question. (I'm assuming that the universal-darwin directory contains the 32 bit binaries.)

Pete's solution of putting the x86_64-darwin in the path would work, but seems a bit of a hack.  But the links are a bit complicated:

/usr/texbin -> ../Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/i386

 i386 -> ../../../../../../../usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin

Is there some way to rerun the script that sets the links correctly and tell it to use the 64bit binaries?

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com