[OS X TeX] TEST - please ignore

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Fri Feb 11 17:09:03 CET 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Berend Hasselman wrote:
>

>> On 11-02-2011, at 16:30, Chris Goedde wrote:
>>
>>> Wait. You mean the outcome of that discussion was to start auto-inserting a notice at the beginning of every email to the list? That can't possibly be true. Please, dear God, do not do this. That is a terrible, terrible idea.
>>
>> I second that. I don't like the new header at all.
>> Please let's keep the old header and clearly remind hijackers that they shouldn't hijack.
>> It doesn't happen that often.
>> I'ld rather live with the occasional hijack (on the list of course:-)) than with the new header at the top of every mail.
>>

> Have to admit I agree. Maybe add a link to the etiquette page to the footer. I'm a bit worried that between the header and footer the message will be ``lost'' and, sometimes, may take up less space then the two combined.
>
> When I pointed out that there was a hijack I wasn't trying to be nasty just add a small comment AFTER answering the OP's question. A gentle push rather than a shove.

I agree with this.  Frankly, the real problem with thread hijacking is the fact that hijacked threads themselves get hijacked with endless discussions like the one that we've just had.  So perhaps a better solution is for people to read followups to a hijacked thread *before* they pile on with yet another "Don't hijack a thread" comment. Maybe we need a header that says "There should be at most one reminder not to hijack a thread in any hijacked thread" ;-)

Gentle reminders are fine; it's the appearance of ganging up on people that causes the problem (and has in the past, too.)  And the ganging up is *not* done by new users.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com