[OS X TeX] Uninstalling an earlier installation

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Thu Dec 29 05:07:04 CET 2011

Hello All,

>> This local extension to the (yearly) TeX Live/Mac TeX installation is optional. I think even if it has been removed it was recreated by the new installation. You can check in a shell, for example in Terminal:
>>
>> 	ls -l /usr/local/texlive
>> 	du -sh /usr/local/texlive/*
>>
>> The first command will list "branches" of TeX Live/Mac TeX, the latter will determine the disk usage of these branches.
<<snip>>

After reading the above, I did

doncarvel:~$ du -sh /usr/local/texlive/*
2.0G	/usr/local/texlive/2009
3.0G	/usr/local/texlive/2010
2.8G	/usr/local/texlive/2011
4.0K	/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
doncarvel:~$

In view of the fact that I'm using MacTeX 2011 and TeXShop 2.43 without any problems, I assume there should be no problems with deleting

/usr/local/texlive/2009
/usr/local/texlive/2010

and thereby saving some 5.0GB. Right?

Don Green Dragon