[OS X TeX] TeXshop and Lion

Ulrich Groh ugroh at mac.com
Tue Aug 30 09:30:30 CEST 2011

Am 28.08.2011 um 21:00 schrieb macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu:

>> Question to the behavior of texshop under Lion: I have my texshop pinned to desktop 4 and I have texshop running. If I am now in desktop 6 for example and if I click on the texshop-symbol in my dock, then it will not switch to the open texshop but a new texshop will open in desktop 6. Is this a failure? Because under OS X 10.6 I was always back to the already open texshop.
>>
>> But more strange is the following: sometimes it will switch back to desktop 4 but then I have two times the same file, e.g. if I have open a file named foo.tex, then suddenly I have two files with the same name open. If I am not aware of this an if I compile the new open foo.tex file, the I will be asked to tell the program the location of this file.
>>
>> Have I tell the operating system something?
>
> Yes.
> Go to System Preferences, Mission Control.
> Check "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application".
>
> Berend

Berend, I did it and the behavior is as it should work. But then I went to BibDesk and opened there a reference. Then I clicked on TeXshop. But in this case I was not back to the already open TeXshop but a new one opened (in the same window where BibDesk was running which is different from the one for TeXshop). I closed this TeXshop and clicked once again on the symbol in the dock. In that case I was switched back to the original TeXshop and to my file open there.

But now the behavior was a little funny: If I am now in Safari (e.g. at Wikipedia) and if I now try to go back to the open TeXshop, then the same happens as with BibDesk.

If I now enter system preferences > mission control and check the "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application" (off/then on), then thereafter everything is fine.

Is this an operating system problem or application system problem?

Ulrich