[OS X TeX] Table Question

Jada Watson jada.watson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:16:43 CEST 2011

Hello everyone!

I am new to the LaTeX world, and I am pulling my hair out with trying to
figure out create a table!

I am trying to create a table that has four columns, with the first (left)
column smaller than the three to the right (which should be roughly the same
size as each other). I would really like this material to be centered within
the cells, but I really can't figure out how to get the material both
centered and have the text wrapped. I seem to be able to do one or the other
at this point.

The other issue is that I keep getting an error code on a table that I am
attempting to construct, but I don't know what's wrong/how to fix it.
The error code appears on the bolded line, and reads that there is an
illegal character within the array. I don't know what this means or how to
fix it!

\begin{center}*
    \begin{tabular}{|1|p{4.6cm}|p{4.5cm}|p{4.5cm}|}*
    \hline
    Mvts & Premier cycle & Deuxième cycle & Troisième cycle \\ \hline
    1 & Avant \textit{L'artisanat furieux} & & \\ \hline
    2 & & 1\up{er} commentaire sur les Bourreaux de solitude & \\ \hline
    3 & \textit{L’artisanat furieux} & & \\ \hline
    4 &  & commentaire sur les \textit{Bourreaux de solitude} & \\ \hline
    5 & & & 1\up{ère} version de \textit{Bel édifice et les pressentiments}
\\ \hline
    6 & & \textit{Bourreaux de solitude} & \\ \hline
    7 & Après \textit{L'artisanat furieux} & & \\ \hline
    8 & & 3\up{e} commentaire sur les \textit{Bourreaux de solitude} & \\
\hline
    9 & & & 2\up{e} version de \textit{Bel édifice et les pressentiments} \\
\hline
    \end{tabular}
\end{center}

Anyone able to help me out?!