[OS X TeX] Re: TeX and 10.6.7

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Apr 12 00:12:38 CEST 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 10:41 AM, Phil Nelson wrote:

> I'm having a big problem with TeXshop 2.38 and MacOS10.6.7. This problem just
> came to light in the past week, so very likely related to 10.6.7.
>
> I set a file with default Computer Modern fonts.
> Sometimes the resulting file is OK. Sometimes I get "could not extract font"
> and garbled glyphs in place of some CMMI characters. Sometimes Adobe Acrobat
> Pro 9 and X hang when viewing the file. Sometimes I send the file to PC users
> and they cannot open them.
>
> This is a big issue for me, so any workaround would be welcome. One thing
> that helped was to reset the document in Palatino using
> \usepackage{mathpazo}
> This makes me wonder if standard LaTeX fonts are old and need to be replaced.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Phil Nelson

Howdy,

Apple did something in 10.6.7 with the typesetting system that has many people up in arms with printing, etc., problems. It definitely has nothing to do with TeXshop since that is just a front end for your TeX distribution. Which version of MacTeX/TeX Live is installed on your system? There shouldn't be any problems with the CM fonts.

By the way, I rarely use the CM fonts any more. More typical is the fourier package (which uses Utopia for the serif font and has full maths support) along with scaled Bera Sans and Bera Mono fonts. I use

\usepackage{fourier}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{berasans}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}

in my preamble and like the look quite a bit.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)