[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT producing blank output

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Apr 8 18:19:26 CEST 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> Am 08.04.2011 um 02:28 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>>
>>> which is VERY different from the contents of the latexit-1-2.tex that you put on line. I wish I knew what/where this is set up.
>>
>> Me too! The process has become more difficult than the LaTeXiT Help displays. The SIZES file is only built in maths modes "Display" and "Inline" to determine the correction of the base line. I could see Perl and Ghostscript perform something... so it's possible that these two could as well produce the error.
>>
>> OTOH, I've seen in Ken's files that dimensions are set to 0. I think this a behaviour LaTeXiT showed in earlier versions. Ken, could you try to first delete the application and then install it? By default, I think, you can have more than one LaTeXiT.app: one in /Applications, another one in /Applications/Utilities, and a third one in /Applications/TeX!
>
> I do not have an /Applications/TeX folder because when I installed I just did "TeX Live 2010" and unselected "GUI Applications". LaTeXiT is installed manually in ~/local/Applications/. I tested dragging it to /Applications but that did not change anything. I have deleted the following files:
>
> rm -fR ~/local/Applications/LaTeXiT.app/
> rm ~/Library/Preferences/*LaTeXiT*
> rm -fR ~/Library/Applications\ Support/LaTeXiT
> rm -fR /var/folders/z6/z62NpG5hFDiqBHw7fg77DE+++TI/-Tmp-/LaTeXiT-2.3.0/
>
> I have re-downloaded LaTeXiT and the problems persists.
>
>  -k.

Howdy,

I'm still worried about Ghostscript. What version of Ghostscript are you using? It may be that you either have more than one Ghostscript installed (you never said if you have a Fink version as well as one installed by MacTeX which is installed in /usr/local/bin/). I remember you said you had the default gs path in LaTeXiT (since you removed the preference file) but if you only have the Fink version that path will be wrong. Also, if you have both set up you can get into worse problems since with the default gs path in LaTeXiT it will call the MacTeX gs but if that gs simply opens other file (e.g., configurations) it may very well assume the files are found along the usual PATH and then you will get a mixed set since Fink installs /sw/bin in the PATH before everything else.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)