[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT producing blank output

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 07:48:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm posting here after not finding a solution on the texlive list.

I used to used texlive 2008 installed via fink, and LaTeXiT worked
fine. I upgraded to texlive 2010 through the MacTex DMG installer,
and LaTeXiT has stopped working. I did the upgrade a few months ago
and have just launched LaTeXiT, so it could be something else, but I
think it is tied to the fink_2008 -> GUI_2010 changes.

When I run LaTeXiT, it appears to run, but the display is blank.

In LaTeXiT, the paths are set correctly, and the tex it tries to
compile is valid.

If I go to the tmp folder where the work is being done, I see
latexit-1.tex and it contains the following valid code. If I run
'pdflatex' on this, I get a valid PDF.

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\usepackage[usenames]{color}\color[rgb]{0.000,0.000,0.000}
\usepackage{amssymb} %maths
\usepackage{amsmath} %maths
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\pagestyle{empty} \begin{document}\begin{align*}
hello, world %% THIS IS THE CODE I ENTERED IN LATEXIT
\end{align*}
\end{document}

However, also in this folder is a file 'latexit-1.pdf', presumably
the version of this document compiled by LaTeXiT. When I view this
file (if I don't run pdflatex myself), I see 4 blank pages. Very
strange. I can send the log file if that will help.

I've trashed the preference file for LaTeXiT and that did not help.

The log file diff from LaTeXiT and my running pdflatex look pretty
much the same.

Any idea why valid latex compiled with pdflatex doesn't seem to work
in LaTeXiT?

Thanks,

    -k.