[OS X TeX] How to put the chapter into report title

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Sep 15 07:05:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am using the report class with pdfLaTeX to generate chapter proofs
(that's because the whole thing uses report and I want easy
consistency).

The preamble looks pretty much the same as the header file for the
whole document. For the whole document all the chapters are linked
using \include{..} and for this chapter proof the content references
only one chapter to include at a time.

What I want to achieve is to put the contents of \chapter{...} into
\title{...} so when I run \maketitle the chapter title appears as the
report title,along the lines of:

Chapter proof
The name of the chapter

I am using \maketitle to capture the date of the proof.

How can I use the chapter title as the report title?

Thanks
Alan