[OS X TeX] Installing Asymptote

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Sep 10 14:26:32 CEST 2010

On Sep 10, 2010, at 7:04 AM, William Adams wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2010, at 7:24 AM, William Adams wrote:
>
>> I've got the official version downloading now.
>
> Done. I even found the Asymptote.engine file in the inactive folder and moved it up two levels.
>
> I must be dense or still not have something set up right though. I compile the Asymptote Sample.tex file w/ the Asymptote engine (multiple times) I get:
>
> Package asymptote Warning: file `Sample-1.pdf' not found on input line 71.
>

> Package asymptote Warning: file `Sample-2.pdf' not found on input line 87.
>

> Package asymptote Warning: file `Sample-3.pdf' not found on input line 111.
>
> The top of the log file says:
>
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)
> restricted \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
>
> and all of the packages are loading like to:
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
>
> w/ no other errors, except for:
>
> error: could not load module 'Sample.asy'
>
> Presumably it's something really simple....
>
> The directory does now include files:
>
> Sample-1.asy
> Sample-2.asy
> Sample-3.asy
>
> and manually running asy filename.asy on them creates the .pdf, so that's the process which isn't happening. Any idea why?
>
> William

Howdy,

That engine may need updating since asymptote now creates a separate file for each graphic so changing one graphic doesn't necessarily force the recompile of all of the graphics saving quite a bit of time.

Try activating the latexmk engines found in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/. One of the engines there is called asymptotemk.engine and it will work with the supplied version of asy and asymptote.sty. It also does more---read the Quick Guide and/or the full documentation.

By the way... If you do use the latexmk engines it is a good idea to overwrite old engines with the new ones (i.e., activate the new engines) since there may have been additions and/or changes to the engines. It is not done automatically (although files in that Inactive folder are renewed when you run a newer version of TeXShop) since customizations to the engines made by the user should not be automatically overwritten.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)