[OS X TeX] help with xelatex

Dennis Kletzing dkletzing at cfl.rr.com
Thu Sep 9 19:17:08 CEST 2010

I have a LaTeX document with some graphics in it. It runs fine using
Texshop with LaTeX and the tex+dvi engine selected from the typeset
menu.

Now I want to switch to xelatex so I can use some system fonts. So I
put the lines

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

at the beginning of the file and the lines

\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}

after the \begin{document} line.

This works fine. The system fonts I want come in perfectly. But now
when I try to bring in the graphics files, they no longer appear. I
get a message in the console that the picture or PDf file is unable
to load. (It loads fine under tex+dvi).

Is it possible to use xelatex and still have the pdf graphics show up
correctly?

System: OS10.4.11
Texshop 2.29

Thanks.