[OS X TeX] Re: OT: A favour --- formula names for beam

Lantz Susan lantzs at trine.edu
Tue Sep 7 21:34:17 CEST 2010

William,

If I have followed this discussion correctly, the arrow's shaft is
supported by two "centers," 26 inches apart, and the arrow shaft and the
centers are on top of a lever, but at the end of the lever farthest from
the fulcrum.(I.e., the arrow is not at the end of the lever that is
pushed down.) Then a two-pound weight is applied at the fulcrum-end of
the lever.

Since (if I've understood what you're asking) the lever is deflecting,
not the arrow, the deflection equation isn't going to tell you anything
about the arrow. It will, however, tell you about the lever.

Susan, who taught a lecture on beam deflection this morning

Susan A. Lantz, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Director, ME/BME Graduate Programs
Trine University
lantzs at trine.edu