[OS X TeX] counting words in 2010

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Oct 31 01:12:45 CEST 2010

Am 31.10.2010 um 00:43 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> You have the detex from TL'11? :-)

Compiled from the sources...

> isn't that what you get too?

Well, knowing that Einstein was German (really? at least he spoke
German!) and wanted that things were made simple, I test this simple
way on the command line:

	echo "Please test\\footnote{\\textbf{this} footnote},	\\emph{but}
quickly!"
	echo "Please test\\footnote{\\textbf{this} footnote},	\\emph{but}
quickly!" | wc
	echo "Please test\\footnote{\\textbf{this} footnote},	\\emph{but}
quickly!" | /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin/detex | wc

In the last case I can use different versions of detex. The results
from the three different command lines are:

	Please test\footnote{\textbf{this} footnote},	\emph{but} quickly!
	       1       5      66
	       1       6      40

The first line shows that the syntax chosen is OK, the second line
counts the run-together words OK (second figure, first one is the
number of lines, last one that of the characters of the input line),
and the last line is correctly filtered by detex. This command shows
how it correctly filters:

	echo "Please test\\footnote{\\textbf{this} footnote},	\\emph{but}
quickly!" | /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/universal-darwin/detex
	Please test this footnote,	but quickly!

Again, I do not have the official/ready/finished detex version of TL
'10. Maybe this file is defective...

Well, which "detex" are you actually using? One via a TeXShop engine?
Could you add to that engine file:

	echo -n "The detex programme soon to be used is certainly this one:
" ; which detex

Thw output will appear in the console window, together with the word
count.

Does the word count come closer to the expected value with a text body
of

	Hello World\footnote{ footnote} and more

or

--
Greetings

   Pete

November, n.:
	The eleventh twelfth of a weariness.
		– Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"